Yesterday, we wrote about cicadas, and how in moderation, they can be a nutritious snack for dogs.
Of course, some insects and spiders are no good for pets, and can cause allergic reactions, some very severe and even life threatening.
How do I know if my dog got stung by a bee?
99 times out of 100, you won’t ever see the bug that stings your pet. You and your veterinarian will have to make the diagnosis based on the symptoms of reaction seen long after the sting itself.
Hives are raised bumps on a dog’s skin. Hives are itchy, but usually not life threatening.
Swelling of the face is very common with dog insect stings, because most of the time, dogs get stung on their faces from investigating a stinging insect too closely.
Home treatment for stings
If a stinger is still present, try to remove it by scraping it with a fingernail, a credit card, or a rigid piece of cardboard. Avoid using tweezers or forceps to remove it unless absolutely necessary as this may force more venom out of the stinger.
Applying a diluted mixture of water and baking soda to the area will help reduce pain. You can also wrap ice or an icepack in a towel and apply it to the wound to reduce swelling.
If you have some at home, diphenhydramine (Benadryl®) can be safely administered to most dogs at a dose of 1mg/lb (eg: 25mg every 4-8 hours for a 25lb dog, 50mg for a 50lb dog). For very small dogs, you’ll want to use a liquid formula for precise dosing.
In many (most) cases, your veterinarian will prefer to see your stung dog earlier rather than later, and may administer steroids as an injection or oral tablets for you to use at home.
With severe reactions, you will see weakness, lethargy, difficulty breathing, and pale gums, and should be in the car on your way to the closest emergency vet instead of reading this blog.
Thanks for reading this article and sharing it with your friends!