HOURS: Mon-Fri: 8am-6pm, Sat: 9am-12pm, Sun: closed
So yesterday, I wrote a post about what to do if your dog ate raw chicken.
Essentially, the conclusion was “don’t worry about it, except sometimes”.
Today’s subject seems on the surface much more benign. I mean, they put corn in dog food right? How bad could it possibly be if my dog gets in the trash and eats a corn cob?
It could be REALLY, REALLY bad. Or, you know, not bad at all – it might pass through without any trouble. No telling.
The reason is simple – the “cob” part of a corn cob doesn’t dissolve much in stomach acid. So it’s either going to come out the back end mostly intact, or your vet is going to have to remove it.
On the one hand, if the cob was swallowed whole, it will be WAY easier to surgically remove from the stomach, than the intestines. Going to the vet NOW and having surgery done might end up being easier on your dog in the end.
On the other hand, if your dog chewed up the cob well before swallowing it, your vet might consider inducing vomiting. Do NOT do this without at least telephone consulting with a veterinarian first.
On the FINAL other hand, the chewed cob might pass through without any problems, whole or in pieces, making surgery unnecessary, and you’ll all live happily ever after. There’s really no way to predict in advance, in most cases, whether or not a foreign body will cause obstruction or pass through.
So… if you know your dopey dog ate a cob and he’s standing in front of you wagging his tail while you’re reading this, it can be difficult to choose. Medicine is never black and white. Please call your local family veterinarian (or veterinary ER if it’s late) and keep them in the loop regarding your decisions on how to proceed. Do whatever they tell you, and we wish you luck and good health!